In the early 1900s, decades before the formation of the state park, preservationist Herbert Welsh led the first campaign “to save Mount Sunapee for all people and to all time.” At the time, timber industry clear-cutting was destroying Mount Sunapee’s scenic beauty and natural environment including its primeval forest.
In defense of a Mount Sunapee State Park for all, the important work of conservation, education, and advocacy continues. Continue it must! Read more…
FOMS Pamphlet: Discussion of the 2015-2019 Proposed Master Plan for Mount Sunapee – Western Expansion into Goshen (1/2015)
Download/view: Proposed Expansion – Pamphlet 2015 Jan (PDF 431kb).
Letter to Friends – FOMS 2015 Jan Cover Letter (PDF 210kb)
State should say “No” to expansion – Concord Monitor editorial – January 9, 2015
FOMS Comments & Letters
- FOMS Letter to Governor Hassan and Commissioner Rose (DRED), Feb. 2015
- FOMS Editorial: Protect Mount Sunapee from Resort Driven Development, Dec. 2014
- FOMS Comments to NH DRED Opposing Mount Sunapee Development Plan & West Bowl Expansion, Sept. 2014
- FOMS Statement Opposing Mount Sunapee Expansion, 2004
FOMS Other Publications
- Lease Expansion & Mount Sunapee State Park: Essential Questions for the Public To Ask, 2004 - (pdf 62 Kb)
Question 1: Public Trust, Public Interest, & Essential Public Values of Mount Sunapee State Park.
Question 2: DRED’s responsibilities for public process and oversight of the park and lease.
Question 3: Impacts of lease expansion on the park, the mountain, Goshen, and the region.
Question 4: DRED’s fiscal oversight responsibilities concerning the lease.
Back: Information about the Friends of Mount Sunapee