Saving Special Places, New Hampshire’s annual land conservation conference will be held on Saturday, April 7, 2018, at Prospect Mountain High School in Alton. This year’s conference will offer 30 workshops. Topics will include conservation planning; farmland conservation; wildlife habitats and species; legal issues; “creative ways to connect,” and more. Additionally, the event provides networking opportunities with colleagues and practitioners in land conservation. For more information, go to savingspecialplaces.org.
Wildflowers, our native song dog (the eastern coyote), log driving, and bogs and ferns are the subject of four different programs in the 2018 Cottrell-Baldwin Environmental Lecture Series that starts March 20th at Fox Forest in Hillsborough.
The Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests and the Caroline A. Fox Research & Demonstration Forest co-sponsor the presentations:
- Tuesday, March 20, 2018 – Wildflowers of New England with Ted Elliman, New England Wildflower Society botanist and author.
- Tuesday, March 27, 2018 – The Real Eastern Coyote with Chris Schadler, wildlife biologist specializing in wild candis.
- Tuesday, April 3, 2018 – Log Drives of the Connecticut River Valley with Helen Pike, journalist and author.
- Tuesday, April 10, 2018 – Bogs & Ferns with Dr. Ronald B. Davis, photographer and author.
All programs start at 7 p.m. and are open to the public free of charge. For more information, go to forestsociety.org/thingstodo.
The March For Science and the People’s Climate Movement continues with the People’s Climate Rally on Saturday, April 29th! The New Hampshire People’s Climate March in Concord starts at 9:00 AM at the State House Lawn, 107 North Main Street.
FOMS is a supporter and will have a presence tabling. If you can help at the People’s Climate Rally on Saturday, please contact us.
And here are other ways people can help now:
- Make plans to attend the rally, reach out to family and friends and invite them to join you.
- Organize a carpool to Concord for the event or to a sister rally.
- Gather with friends and make posters, so they are ready to go on Saturday.
- Share event information and photos on social media.
People’s Climate Movement – Marches and rallies on April 29, 2017
We need to stand together to protect our climate, our health, and our communities. It’s also crucial that we build a vision of the world we want, and rise together to make it possible.
To find a Climate Movement rally near you, visit the ActionNetwork.org
View/download: Southern NH Climate Assessment 2014 (pdf 5Mb)
Thanks to a new partnership between Sullivan County (NH) and the Wellborn Ecology Fund, schools and teachers looking to increase environmental education for their students will find help from the Sullivan County Conservation District in Unity.
A $25,000 grant from the Wellborn Ecology Fund to Sullivan County resulted in the creation of an Environmental Education & Outreach Specialist to provide environmental education support to schools in Sullivan County.
The goal of the County’s Environmental Education Specialist is to incorporate place-based ecology education into everyday learning. Read more…